The Holy Trinity Anglican Church in Qonce is Buffalo City's oldest church.
The foundation stone was laid in 1850 by Colonel G MacKinnon and the church was built between 1850-1856 by soldiers garrisoned in the town. The official opening took place in 1856 by Bishop John Armstrong and consecrated by Bishop Henry Cotterill in 1861.
An interesting side note: Baby Elizabeth Ann Fitchet, who was the granddaughter of the Chief Constable of Grahamstown, William Webster, was the first recorded baptism in the impressive new church. Elizabeth was born in then-King William's Town on 14 November 1855 and baptised on 27 January 1856.
Photos: William Martinson and Dirk le Roux